Tuesday, May 29, 2012

19

Today 30 Google Chromebooks arrived at our school, as part of a proposal I developed for how to spend 10K raised at our PTA's auction last year - for technology. It's been a long process, and my neck is still out there on this one, but it is extremely exciting.

Except I won't be back to really participate in the experience.

Because I have nineteen days left as a public school teacher.

A month or so ago we got a brand new computer lab, full of really slick and fast iMacs. Here's a staff training session:
Staff intro 3
And here's my classroom of third graders up there:
Room twelve visits the new lab




















Next year each classroom will have at least four of them.

It is ironic, to say the least, to see this huge infusion of money and technology into our school just as I retire. I'm happy for the kids. I hope they get to use the new technologies in ways that will encourage creativity, self expression, and exploration.

My worry is they will end up being little more than test taking devices, and used primarily for preparing the kids to get higher test scores. I really, really hope I'm wrong.

19.

No comments:

Post a Comment