Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A Certain Slant of Light


People have been asking me all summer what it feels like to be retired, and I've responded that it feels like any other summer. Today is the first day of school, so now I know. Right now, there's an emptiness. This will change, I know.

I'll probably go for a bike ride on the "going to school" route, because I know it so well. Last night I wrote a little note to my colleagues, but I didn't send it, because we all need to move on. I keep it here, to remember: 
A Certain Slant of Light

Emily Dickenson used that phrase a long time ago, and for me it it defines the current season - fall, football, and the start of the new school year. It also means, like many of you, I have been having back to school dreams/nightmares. You don't do something for 31 years and expect your body/mind to all of a sudden stop. :)
 

I am with you all in spirit as you start the new school year. Give your kids an extra smile or hug for me. I wish you many smiles and sweet moments on your first day, and every day of the school year. 

Missing you and wishing you all the best - Mark
PM Update: Made it through the day. Rode my bike almost to school and home. Neighborhoods were oh so very quiet. Saw a few parent types out for walks. I imagine there were some feelings of relief. Highlight of the day was selling my first banjo to a student who used to go to my school. Life goes on, sometimes in surprising ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment